December 23, 2008

Christmas 2008

Amongst our own household there is serious misunderstanding about the Advent.  The problem surfaced the other day when Jeremy stated that Santa Clause would be holding baby Jesus in the Christmas parade, and continued when we learned that baby Jesus’ parents were Merry and Pippin, and he came so that he could turn into bread.  Also the real Santa Clause lives in Ventura.  Parenting is hard.

 Here are some stories that don’t make us look as bad:

 Molly, in her pursuit to begin every word with the letter H, can say Hmismas.  Others include:  Hammy (friend Tammy), Hama (Grandma), Heemup Heemup (Clean up) and HimHuit (Swimsuit.)  Molly accomplishes what she sees fit with nonchalant determination.  She assumes that she also is 4 and will enjoy the benefits whether we provide them or not. Yet she waddles over with her torso twisting, arm- waving walk to snuggle the way only a squishy 1 and a half-year-old can.  I was warned I would be wrapped around her finger.  While I am not trying very hard to avoid that, she does make it easy.

 Ian looked forward all year to being four, because we flippantly told him he could have gum when he was four.  The first words out of his mouth on his birthday after we said Happy Birthday to him in bed were “Can I have gum?”  We are never sure which of our comments will make an impact.  Our requests to get in the car, for instance, do not.  At all.  On the other hand when Megan off -handedly said that most 4 year olds don’t suck their thumbs because it can make their teeth crooked, he quit cold turkey.  Only once, crying at his inability to self-soothe, did he mention that he didn’t want to have crazy teeth.  Poor boy.

 Jeremy in his passion for art and music drew an anatomically correct picture of daddy to share with his preschool teachers.  I expected an intervention from CPS, so being a man of honor I planned to discreetly recycle it immediately. Instead it has garnered much praise from the critics so it is hung with great pride on the refrigerator with all of your Christmas cards.  Jeremy also let us know that dragon’s don’t celebrate Christmas because they would scare Baby Jesus.

 Megan says funny stuff too but not in the same way.  It turns out we are having our 4th child in May.  Turns out is what you say when you want to imply that you were not fully responsible or aware of something. But it turns out that we are both. Being pregnant is cute the first time, annoying the second, and funny the 3rd The things that come out of tired, pregnant women’s mouths can be quite funny; Unfortunately unrepeatable.   This all amounts to us having 4 kids 4 and under, which seems stupid; But in a joyful kind of way. While we always wanted 4, we were never quite ready to live up to the reality of a new infant.  Family planning is funny.  We are still working on the planning part.

 The ways that I am  growing and changing are neither funny nor interesting.   But I will say this. This year more than before, we love Christmas.  I am sad for it’s ending before it even begins.  I love pine trees in my living room, bare trees in our back yard, excuses to eat Christmas treats.  I love putting together toys in pajamas, reading user’s manuals and explaining them to family members who don’t.  I like the idea of things that I don’t even really like, like eggnog and rum-balls.  I love kids books designed to make me cry, that actually do.  Even my distrust of colorful sweaters can be suspended.  And if I am a bit confused about Christmas, I am so happily.  It is not the ‘true meaning’ of Christmas that confuses us.  We just feel guilty that we forget what the party was for. Sometimes that happens at a good party. Just the same I am more grateful for the gift than the party.  Whether he comes in a manger or in Santa’s lap, drink up and thank God for the best gift. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to read a McCarter post! Thanks for the laughs and insight.
Julie

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Andy White said...

I'll drink to that! Keep posting in 09 Brad...sounds like you'll have plenty of free time.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the amusing post. "Turns out", my husband and I are also expecting our fourth child this April. This will be in addition to our daughter (4 yrs.) and identical twin sons (2 yrs.). You have a lovely writing style and it was fun to read about a family I can truly relate to. God bless and Merry Christmas!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Angela White said...

Raise your hand if you wish Brad had more free time so he could write a book...that's the book I want to read...

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome as always!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you talk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home